Thursday, February 4, 2010

ESSAY???

What is an essay? hm... what is an essay? seriously what is it? before I might answer it as a 5 paragraph paper that is assign by a teacher to see what we think of a book or article. hm... maybe half of that is true. Essay is never something I really want to do, unless the topic is something i am interested on. Just like in my senior year for high school in my ap english class, my teacher assign many books for us to read. I remember there is this one thick book that everyone hated because the words were small and the chapters were long. I thought i was going to be like everyone else who hated the book instead i like the book so much that i read ahead many times. The book is call "Great Expectations" by Charles Dickens. I forgot what was the prompt for that essay that we have to write about. But that was one of the essay that i have so much ideas for. I was really into the book, so when it came to the essay, it was fun. I had a good grade on that essay but i struggle a lot just to gather all my ideas together.I also know why i hate essay because i always get stuck on some part and don't know how to transition it. I remember back in my english class again, there was this one time where my english teacher was sick so she couldn't make it to class. She left the substitute teacher an in class essay for us to write. Before the substitute came in, one of my classmate took all the paper that was related to the in class essay and hide it. So during that class we didn't write an essay yet we just sat around and talked. When  my teacher came back she was mad that we didn't write the essay and blame the substitute for not giving it to us. That was a funny day. But yea here is what essay means:

So on Wikipedia it says that an essay is "....usually a short piece of writing which is quite often written from an author's personal point of view. Essays can consist of a number of elements, including: literary criticism, political manifestos, learned arguments, observations of daily life, recollections, and reflections of the author. The definition of an essay is vague, overlapping with those of an article and a short story."
There are many different forms and different meanings for an essay, it can be short and it can be long. But i realize that when I first knew about "essay" it was just a 5 paragraph essay, however, as we grew up it seem to add more meaning into the form of "essay."

The verb definition of essay is "an attempt and to try," from dictionary.com. When I read the definition of essay the verb one, I was surprise! I never or even thought about the verb meaning of essay. It goes right along with the noun meaning of essay though. No wonder teachers been telling us to at least just try to do your essay or do our best. Just trying our best is writing an essay already. haha.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it sad that in school you hardly ever get a chance to write anything other than a "five-paragraph" essay? They're so formulaic, and have so little to do with the kind of writing you do in college. Essays are a lot more fun and creative than that -- or they should be!

    ReplyDelete