Thursday, February 11, 2010

"Something Borrowed"


                     After reading the article the first thing that came to my mind was wow, so glad that wasn’t me. Haha. I think it is wrong for Byrony Lavery to use someone’s life and make it into a play without that person’s permission. What is the difference between stealing someone’s identity? To me, it seems like the same thing. Though, Lavery did use it to create something new, fresh, and interesting for people to see but still it was wrong of her to just copy without Dorothy Lewis’s permission. If I was Lewis and my life has been copied and used as a play and heard about the play from a third party since I didn’t know about it, I would be really mad and upset. I think most people would be. Knowing that my life is being shown to many people and yet I know nothing about it. Plagiarism can ruin someone’s life, though it didn’t really ruin Lewis’s life but it still have an effect on her. Like in the article it did say that Lewis is scared that people may think some part of the play is what she really do in real life, the play can ruin her reputation. Then again, Lavery was creating something new, she twist some parts of Lewis’s life to make it more interesting and more exciting which she just borrowed or got her inspiration from Lewis’s life. Though, there are many parts in the play that was similar to what Lewis did in real life and her study but most of them were opposite of what happen in real life or Lavery twist it. Yes, she did borrow Lewis’s life without her permission but she did create something new and it wasn’t a boring play. It was a play that everyone actually loved. So in a way I believe that Lavery somewhat did Lewis wrong but Lewis can’t be truly mad at Lavery.
Another part I think Lavery did wrong is that she credit the victim, that Lewis used as her study and was talked about in her books, yet Lewis’s name was not mention. We talked about this in class, I feel bad for Lewis, she put so much effort into interviewing and studying these victims, and out of nowhere came this play and those victims are credit and yet she wasn’t. Though, she interview them for her study since Lavery already credit the victims might as well credit the person who interview them.There are so many types of plagiarism, no wonder it is so complicated to keep track about it.
I thought the part about how artist or musicians plagiarism too because of parts of the song sound the same. There are many songs that have similar parts and sound alike that doesn’t mean they purposely copied another’s person’s music. Since I am really into Korean music and there are so much rumors of so and so copy this so and so, so that person is going to be sue. The article had me thinking that it is not necessary to actually go to court and waste people’s time and money because a couple of keys are alike. I just think it is really stupid to sue someone because of couple notes are alike. They can find other ways of resolving it.

1 comment:

  1. I think the parallel you're drawing to identity theft is really interesting. Of course, Lavery wasn't taking money out of Lewis' bank account, but Lewis still felt like her identity had been used in a way she wasn't comfortable with. That's a great point. That's also interesting about Korean music -- I hadn't heard that, although I do remember hearing something similar about the Indian music industry in a piece on the NPR show "Marketplace." I'll have to find a link to that for you guys.

    ReplyDelete