Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Performance vs Authentic Self

hm.... I do agree on some parts of her meaning of performance and authentic self. However, some of her words might be a little harsh. Just like when she said how performance self are fake. That is not necessary true. It’s just that performance self are more into themselves more than authentic self, whereas authentic self seems more natural. Through, her definition to me it seems like when teens are entering high school where people try to find a place for them to fit into. They either want to be in the performance (popular) side or the authentic (more of non popular) side. However, as we grow up we will find out which side we belong to or maybe be in between both, which I think most people are, not much of a performance self or authentic self. Well, I can’t speak for everyone, but at least for me. I am in between performance and authentic. I am not more side with either one.
To me I am in between performance self and authentic self, I don’t think I am more of either one. I am who I am; I don’t change my personality when I am with people who are close to me or strangers. I still act the way I am. After typing I am not more of either one, I stare at the book, and thought maybe I am more of one than the other. Haha Maybe I do lean more toward authentic self, I like to do a lot of things my way, and I don’t like to follow people much. Just like in high school, every teenager has tried to fit into a group to make them well known or be popular or hangs with the popular crowd; however, I became friends with both side of the crowd. The nerdy one and the popular ones, I had my own group of friends that are unique in their special ways. Among my friends, all of us have different personality and neither of us likes to follow what others do. We do things that we believe that is right and those we like to do.
After reading the article with the teacher getting fired because of talking about one of her student’s religion, I kind of think the teacher am kind of ridiculous in a way. Yes, it is her personal social network and it is her freedom of speech but knowing that she is friends with the student or the student parent shouldn’t she re think about what she writes on her status. Maybe sometimes people got to be performance self at times to keep away the truth but other times it is not necessary. In a way both the parent or the student and the teacher is very wrong in both ways. The parent shouldn’t even be checking up on the teacher’s status in the first place. Though when a status is posted everyone can see but can’t the parent just pretend not to see it or why friends with their children’s teacher are anyways. Yea, the teacher could have just talk it over with her friends and still keep her job but her habits won’t change.

No comments:

Post a Comment